Sunday, April 24, 2011

FEATURED SWEETHEART: Ryan Fennell




This week, THE TEXAS SWEETHEARTS & SCOUNDRELS are thrilled to be featuring librarian Ryan Fennell!


Short Bio (according to Ryan):

Ryan is a Young Adult Librarian for Harris County in Houston, Texas. Before becoming a librarian, he taught school overseas and in the States. According to him, despite his (alleged) lack of talent, he's always looking for ways to express his creativity. His wife keeps him grounded, and his two-year-old daughter is already smarter than he is.


TXS&S: Can you tell us a little about what you do and what or who inspires you?

RF: People who inspire me are the ones who make a living doing what they love.


TXS&S: What projects are you excited about?

RF: I'm excited about all of my projects. I have a really amazing group of volunteers who share the same goal of promoting libraries through the arts. We always have about three projects we are working on at one time. We just finished our art book cart, which you will be able to see at this year's Houston Art Car Parade. Right now we are collecting video of authors sharing what they would be doing if they weren't writing. Thanks to TXS&S for participating in that by the way.


TXS&S: How do you see reading changing for teens in the next couple of years? What challenges do you see for readers?

RF: If you can believe it, teens are going to have even more opportunities to read. Current technology has already sent chances to read into orbit, and right now there are a bunch of brilliant people developing things I could never imagine that will boost opportunities even higher. The only challenge I see for readers is them not having enough encouragement in their lives to pursue reading.


TXS&S: If you weren't a young adult librarian, what would you do instead?

RF: Why? Are you hiring? Seriously, as long as I am allowed to be creative, I'm fine with whatever. If I had my choice though I would just spend every second with my wife and daughter.


TXS&S: Would your friends and fellow staff members consider you a Sweetheart or Scoundrel, and why?

RF: My friends and fellow staff members would consider me a scoundrel, which makes perfect sense. They're a bunch of scoundrels themselves.

2 comments:

  1. My theory: Librarians rock. YA librarians double rock. Ryan Fennelle is added proof. Thanks Texas Sweethearts for recognizing the people who make the world better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We completely agree, Kathleen! Ryan is an inspiration, and you are too. :)

    ReplyDelete