Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Holiday Signing…Texas Hill Country Style

On Sunday evening, December 19, 2010, I had the privilege of signing at the 41st Annual LBJ Tree Lighting.


singing at the park store

This special Hill Country tradition was started 41 years ago by President and Mrs. Johnson. The evening was full of holiday cheer including a festive band, carolers, a live nativity, plus an opportunity to enjoy the Sauer-Beckman Living History Farm.

live nativity

Once the sun had set, members of the Johnson family arrived. I had the honor of sitting close to Luci Baines Johnson and her extended family. When Luci addressed the community, I admit to tearing up as she thanked her family members for being there for her when she was critically ill in April. She mentioned how especially grateful she felt this holiday season, and recited a few words from her father. ("Are we thankful? Yes, we are!")

cedar tree before the lighting ceremony

After the program and the lighting of the tree, Luci shook my hand and thanked the other participants including the lovely Cathie Gail and Donna Albus of Keep Texas Beautiful.
Keep Texas Beautiful ornament dedicated to Lady Bird Johnson

Before joining Santa for photos, Luci thanked us all again, saying her mother would want her to.

I'm so very thankful that I was invited to such a memorable event, and I truly appreciate the kindness of the staff and the volunteers.

I hope your holidays are rich in tradition and memories!

~Jessica

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! I know I'm an outsider here in Texas, when I haven't heard of this before. Next year, I must see this! **scratches on 'Resolutions' notepad**

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic time it looks like you had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I'm not a native Texan, I'm ashamed to say that this was my first year attending. I'll be back in the future!

    ReplyDelete