Monday, January 4, 2010

So long 2009 - Our Highlights of the Year

So here we are in 2010 already. We've passed Palindrome Day, and we're ready to set goals and resolutions for the new year. But what about 2009? I don't know about you guys, but for us Texas Sweethearts, we have a ton to cheer about. 2009 rocked, and we're looking forward to more in the future.

But before we jump to the future, we're going to take a minute to look back on the past. We've rounded up our highlights for the year:

*****
Jessica Lee Anderson:

So many wonderful things happened this last year, including the publication of BORDER CROSSING and selling CALLI, but the highlight was building and strengthening connections with writing friends, locally with the Awesome Austin Writers and afar. Here are some events that will stay with me for as long as my memory is healthy:

*Texas Library Association annual conference in Houston. Cynthia Leitich Smith posted some wonderful pictures

*American Library Association annual conference in Chicago

*SCBWI annual conference in Los Angeles

*Dual book release party

*Encyclomedia

*South Dakota Festival of Books

*Texas Book Festival

I'm blessed to have such an amazing, talented network. I'm also blessed to have found the companionship of my fellow Sweethearts!


*****
PJ Hoover:

My highlights for 2009 include:

* Rediscovering my love of reading

* Finding my writing buddies both online and locally. Support of other writers you can really count on matters so much in this business.

* Remembering I need to have fun also. This is where Mario Kart and Rock Band come into the picture.

* The formation of the Texas Sweethearts. Jo and Jessica are amazing gals, and I am so fortunate to be part of this group.

* Publication of my second novel, THE NAVEL OF THE WORLD. Having kids read it. Having kids enjoy it! Having kids tell me they enjoyed it :)

* Realizing I LOVE to talk to groups of people. And not just kids but people of all ages. This used to scare me to death, but now I relish the thought of it.

* And finally, as for the actual writing, I've pushed myself out of my comfort zone and tried new things. I am excited to be improving and love every bit of this writing career!

*****
Jo Whittemore:

I was lucky to have several writing-related highlights last year! But I'll pick my top five.

* Receiving the ARC for FRONT PAGE FACE-OFF, proof in my hands that I'm capable of reaching outside my comfort zone to a new genre.

* Attending the SCBWI LA Conference. It was the greatest fortune to hang out with old friends, make new ones, get inspired and be a girly girl for one evening (at the gala)!

* The countless other times this year I was blessed with writer world company, from my abfab agent Jenn to my genius critique partner Cheryl to the Awesome Austin Writers.

* Forming the Texas Sweethearts with Tricia (PJ) and Jessica, my Southern Sistahs! Their camaraderie and support is a blessing.

* Selling a new project to Simon & Schuster (Aladdin Mix) on proposal and then seeing it through until the words The End. Such a great feeling.

*****

And what was your highlight for 2009?

So long, 2009!

2 comments: